Sunday, May 22, 2016

Dreaming of France -- Goodies


Thank you for joining this weekly meme. Grab a copy of the photo above and link back to An Accidental Blog. Share with the rest of us your passion for France. Did you read a good book set in France? See a movie? Take a photo in France? Have an adventure? Eat a fabulous meal or even just a pastry? Or if you're in France now, go ahead and lord it over the rest of us. We can take it.

As I looked through some pictures we took in France, I came upon this one.

Most people would not have taken a picture of the KitKat bar, but my husband and I did, because it reminded us of a fond memory when we visited France in 1998 with the children, ages 6, 4 and 2. 
We had been traveling around France for a few weeks, along the Atlantic coast, to the Mediterranean and to the Alps. We even ventured over to Salzburg, Austria before returning to EuroDisney. That's what they called it then before it became Disneyland Paris. 
Finally, we arrived in Paris on a Sunday morning. Luckily, traffic isn't especially bad on Sunday mornings, so we dropped the car at the rental place with only a few wrong turns. We found ourselves a few blocks past the Arc de Triomphe. And the first thing we spotted was a bakery. So I took the kids inside and let them choose a pastry. 
Tucker chose a pain sucre, a sweet roll with large pieces of sugar on top. Grace got a caramel eclair, long and slender with a stretch of caramel along the top and delicate cream inside. 
As for Spencer, he stood looking in all the glass cases before he chose a KitKat bar. Yes, exactly like he could have gotten at home. 

Here they are a few minutes later posing with their father in front of the Arc de Triomphe. Notice that Grace and Tucker are still holding their pastries. Spencer's KitKat bar was long since eaten.
Now at 22, Spencer assures me he would not pick a KitKat bar again. He has worked in some pretty fancy restaurants, and I think he's more aware of what good food is. 

Thanks so much for playing along with Dreaming of France. I really appreciate your participation and I hope you'll leave a comment plus visit each other's blogs.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute story! Isn't it a relief to know they eventually learn what's good?

our life in france said...

I love kit Kats and all cake and at 67 I don't think I will change now, the French cakes are so delicious and so full of naughty ingredients, When you see the French ladies eating their way through lots of courses you wonder how they stay so slim but their secret is they all walk a lot

Paulita said...

Francetaste, yes, hopefully their tastes mature.
Roz, Like you, sometimes I will go for something not so gourmet, like an Oreo cookie.

Suzie Tullett said...

What a lovely memory, Paulita. Great photo too x

Sim Carter said...

Aww, that is the sweetest memory!
Sorry I couldn't play along earlier my friend, we were out of town for nieces graduation house party at the beach in San Diego. Better late than never, I'm adding the link to today's post, the first teaser to Beauty and the Beast. The French connection? Lumiere, of course!

Here’s something your Dreaming of France fans might enjoy

Sim Carter said...

PS ... and yes, I do know that Cannes is in France, lol!

But you are in France, Madame said...

Love the photo at the Arc de Triomphe. Something special about the simple way that we used to take photos.

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...