Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Tuesday Teaser -- 100 Days of Happiness


Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the first paragraph of her current read. Anyone can join in. Go to Diane's website for the image and share the first paragraph of the current book you are reading.

When the main character of 100 Days of Happiness by Fausto Brizzi learns that he has 100 days left to live, he decides to make the most of them.
Here's the intro:
Allow me to tell you about the three most important days of my life. I wouldn't want any of the three to think I'm playing favorites, so I'll list them in strict chronological  order.
The first was Friday, October 13, 1972. Friday, the thirteenth.
On that date, as a Fokker turboprop crash-landed in the Andes with forty-five passengers who would ultimately devour each other to survive, Antonio and Carla, that is to say, my mom and dad, eighteen at the time, conceived me in the backseat of an unprepossessing off-white Citroen Dyane. The two teens had parked their vintage junker in a large empty square on the outskirts of Rome, included in the zoning plan by far-seeing city administrators as a handy refuge for lovebirds. It was a bleak setting, filled by the occasional abandoned refrigerator and stacks of battered cars.
A perfect backdrop for a tender love story.
This is intriguing to me because I truthfully have no idea when or where my parents conceived me, and I don't think most people do. Maybe this was the only time his, probably Catholic, parents had sex.
I love the idea of the book. I hope it lives up to the hook.

7 comments:

Girl Who Reads said...

Doesn't really sound like my kind of book, but I hope you enjoy it. Girl Who Reads

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Yes, I am definitely curious now. Thanks for sharing....and here's mine: “BEHIND CLOSED DOORS”

Literary Feline said...

My parents always said I was conceived while they were visiting my dad's parents in Pennsylvania during the middle of a snow storm. I don't know how true that is, but the timing fits. :-) I like the intro--that's quite a story to have about one's conception! You've definitely got me curious. Thank you for sharing!

Monica's Bookish Life said...

I haven't heard about this book, but I'd keep reading! I'm intrigued by the opening.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Fantastic intro, I want more. Hope the rest is as good.

Nise' said...

I wonder if I every told my kids where they were conceived? Happy reading.

Paulita said...

Thanks to everyone for leaving comments. I enjoyed looking at the books you are beginning as well.

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...