Tuesday, November 03, 2015

Tuesday Intros -- If I Could Turn Back Time


Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the first paragraph of her current read. Anyone can join in. Go to Diane's website for the image and share the first paragraph of the current book you are reading.

This book, If I Could Turn Back Time by Beth Harbison, caught my attention because of the cover, in spite of all the folks who say "you can't judge a book by its cover."

Well, I'll let you know if the book is as much fun as the cover.
Here's the intro:
The night before my eighteenth birthday, I was thirty-seven years old.
Not the first time. The first time I was seventeen. Just like you'd expect of an ordinary person. Because I was an ordinary person. I really couldn't pinpoint what put me over the edge, but something did.
So, when it came down to what I want to tell you about today, yes: The night before my second eighteenth birthday, I was thirty-seven. 

There's another line about this, but I kind of think she's belaboring the point. Hope I like the rest of the book better.
I finished reading The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah yesterday. Now I understand why she has 14,000 reviews with 85% of them being 5-star reviews. I probably would give it 4-stars, but if 4.5 was possible, I would go for that. I felt like there were a few unanswered questions, but the book definitely captured my attention and wouldn't let me go. I loved being immersed in World War II France, and I'd thought I had read enough of that time period.
I came home from work yesterday, made dinner and then didn't stop reading The Nightingale, even when my son left to go back to college, when my daughter left for an audition, when my husband walked in the door from work... I just kept reading until I got to the end. Loved it.
Thanks for visiting today and I hope you're reading something you enjoy.

8 comments:

Lucia said...

Reading Abbey Road to Ziggy Stardust by Ken Scott and Bobby Owsinski, a book about the recording engineers and producers that were there when the Beatles recoreded, etc...I'm still in the middle of it, I keep forgetting it in my car! I'm into biographies lately. Maybe there's a good one about a famous person living in France, n'est pas?

Literary Feline said...

Now I have Cher's song in my head. LOL At least I like the song. :-)

I enjoyed reading your teaser. I'm definitely curious about what's going on!

I am glad to hear you enjoyed The Nightingale. I hope I love it as much as so many others.

Suzie Quint said...

Hm. I do like good time travel stories. I'll be watching to see what you think of this.

Cleopatra Loves Books said...

Good to hear you enjoyed The Nightingale - I enjoyed this historical tale very much too. I do hope you enjoy the rest of If I Could Turn Back Time, I'm not a big fan of authors who press a point too hard but hopefully it eases off once the book gets going.

Girl Who Reads said...

This sounds like one of those books that could be really good, or just so-so. Girl Who Reads

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Not liking that intro at all, but then I'm not a fan of time-travel. Hope its one you enjoy though.

Sandra Nachlinger said...

Sounds good, and so does The Nightingale.
My Tuesday post features Emma Knows All.

Peggy Ann said...

Sounds dizzying! I think I wouldn't pursue it. But you've piqued my interest in The Nightingale

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...