Saturday, August 22, 2015

Saturday Snapshot -- A Wedding


Join West Metro Mommy for this weekly meme of photos people have taken and share on their blogs.
Friday evening, I went to the first same-sex marriage that I've attended. The Supreme Court ruling in June made same-sex marriage legal in Ohio.
Grace and Tucker had a swim coach in high school who lived with her partner. The two had been married before in another state, before a court had struck down that state's marriage law.
Now, they are married in Ohio and throughout the country.
The two walked down the aisle holding hands with their 12-year-old daughter.

On the way back down the aisle, with her parents married to each other, tears dripped down their daughter's cheeks. 
I thought nothing else about the fact that two women married each other, until Earl and I were leaving, after eating, drinking and dancing. 
We stopped to congratulate Leslie. 
"You two have always been lovely to us," she said. 
That's when it struck me that there must have been others who weren't lovely to them. People who judged them or shut them out because they were two women in love with each other. 
That made me so sad. 
I hope that one day soon, the expectation will be that everyone treats each other with respect, no matter what kind of relationship they're in . 

5 comments:

Joy said...

Lovely photo and tribute!

Joy's Book Blog

Louise said...

Such a beautiful post Paulita, and a lovely photo of the couple. Sadly we in Australia don't have same sex marriage yet- thanks to our tremendously backward government. I hope it will change soon, but it is a cause for international embarrassment.

Brona said...

A lovely, touching post Paulita.

Like Louise, I am ashamed to say that our current government seems to be putting its head in the sand about this issue. A clear majority of Australians would be delighted to support a same-sex marriage bill. The momentum has been building for such a long time here, so it cannot be far away...

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

What a wonderful tribute to love! Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I agree with you 100%---why can't all people--"live and let live?"

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...