Tuesday, August 26, 2014

First Paragraph -- The Church of Tango

Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the first paragraph of her current read. Anyone can join in. Go to Diane's website for the image and share the first paragraph of the current book you are reading.
I am reading The Church of Tango by Cherie Magnus for France Book Tours. I'll post a review of this memoir in October. Here's the intro:
It was February, 1992, when I stood in my raincoat with my two suitcases in front of a locked courtyard gate in the 9th arrondissement. The airport taxi vanished, leaving me alone on the deserted street. The digicode I had brought from Los Angeles didn't unlock the big double doors of the eighteenth-century apartment building. What am I doing here? I wondered in a moment of panic. Am I completely crazy after a year of widowhood.
 What do you think?

6 comments:

Literary Feline said...

I can just picture that scene in my head too. It sounds like a promising start to a memoir. I would keep reading.

JoAnn said...

I like that intro... would definitely keep reading. Hope you enjoy the book!

kayerj said...

I think that sounds like a book I could get into right away. kelley—the road goes ever ever on

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I love the cover and am curious where the memoir will go from here. I'd read more.

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing! and if one of your readers is interested in getting also a free copy to review it on their blog, there's 1 spot still available: http://francebooktours.com/2014/07/30/cherie-magnus-on-tour-the-church-of-tango/

Linda said...

Sounds good to me. I know some people that that happened to, that, or they couldn't find the person with the key who wouldn't answer their phone. It's a memoir? Maybe I will read it.

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...